follow, avoid tenchnical discussions taking place outside our mailing
lists...

Probably more a question for infra, but what does the team think?
Re: Can github activity (new PRs, comments) be forwarded to dev@ ? [ In reply to ]
> On 28 Apr 2020, at 12:49, Yann Ylavic <ylavic.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That'd help being more reactive there, avoid having multiple places to
> follow, avoid tenchnical discussions taking place outside our mailing
> lists...
>
> Probably more a question for infra, but what does the team think?

Please, no!

We have commits arriving at cvs@httpd (dammit, how long ago was
it we moved from cvs to svn?), bugs, and some less-used lists.
If you like to see them all in one place, get your procmail (or whatever)
to sort it locally into the same folder!

A mailbox full of messages "from" Gitbox and without meaningful
subject lines just provokes [select all] --> delete.

--
Nick Kew
Re: Can github activity (new PRs, comments) be forwarded to dev@ ? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 2:26 PM Nick Kew <niq@apache.org> wrote:

> > On 28 Apr 2020, at 12:49, Yann Ylavic <ylavic.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > That'd help being more reactive there, avoid having multiple places to
> > follow, avoid tenchnical discussions taking place outside our mailing
> > lists...
> >
> > Probably more a question for infra, but what does the team think?
>
> Please, no!
>
> We have commits arriving at cvs@httpd (dammit, how long ago was
> it we moved from cvs to svn?), bugs, and some less-used lists.
> If you like to see them all in one place, get your procmail (or whatever)
> to sort it locally into the same folder!

I think I did not explain myself well, I don't necessarily want github
activity to arrive the dev@ mailing list, I want it to arrive
?) or a new gh@httpd.a.o is fine by me.

I just don't want to login to github to see what happens, though I can
do that (or follow a link) once I'm aware of a PR or discussion
happening there. My workflow being to read my emails and mailing lists
I'm subscribed to..

> A mailbox full of messages "from" Gitbox and without meaningful
> subject lines just provokes [select all] --> delete.

I certainly agree with that, those not interested would not subscribe
to gh@httpd.a.o for instance.

Regards,
Yann.
Re: Can github activity (new PRs, comments) be forwarded to dev@ ? [ In reply to ]
On 4/28/20 3:53 PM, Yann Ylavic wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 2:26 PM Nick Kew <niq@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On 28 Apr 2020, at 12:49, Yann Ylavic <ylavic.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> That'd help being more reactive there, avoid having multiple places to
>>> follow, avoid tenchnical discussions taking place outside our mailing
>>> lists...
>>>
>>> Probably more a question for infra, but what does the team think?
>>
>> Please, no!
>>
>> We have commits arriving at cvs@httpd (dammit, how long ago was
>> it we moved from cvs to svn?), bugs, and some less-used lists.
>> If you like to see them all in one place, get your procmail (or whatever)
>> to sort it locally into the same folder!
>
> I think I did not explain myself well, I don't necessarily want github
> activity to arrive the dev@ mailing list, I want it to arrive
> ?) or a new gh@httpd.a.o is fine by me.
>
> I just don't want to login to github to see what happens, though I can
> do that (or follow a link) once I'm aware of a PR or discussion
> happening there. My workflow being to read my emails and mailing lists
> I'm subscribed to..
>

>> A mailbox full of messages "from" Gitbox and without meaningful
>> subject lines just provokes [select all] --> delete.
>
> I certainly agree with that, those not interested would not subscribe
> to gh@httpd.a.o for instance.

+1 gh@httpd.apache.org (I declare the naming discussion for the list name opened :-)).
This offers an easy opt-in for those who are interested in these updates.

Regards

Rüdiger
Re: Can github activity (new PRs, comments) be forwarded to dev@ ? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 05:19:09PM +0200, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> +1 gh@httpd.apache.org (I declare the naming discussion for the list name opened :-)).
> This offers an easy opt-in for those who are interested in these updates.

+1 from me, does anybody know if it's actually technically possible to
do though? AFAICT there is not github project setting to do this kind
of thing specifically so we'd either need to use the API somehow? Or
add whatever@httpd.apache.org to a personal github account and have
notifications through that, which seems ugly.

Regards, Joe
Re: Can github activity (new PRs, comments) be forwarded to dev@ ? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 8:19 AM Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 05:19:09PM +0200, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> > +1 gh@httpd.apache.org (I declare the naming discussion for the list
> name opened :-)).
> > This offers an easy opt-in for those who are interested in these updates.
>
> +1 from me, does anybody know if it's actually technically possible to
> do though? AFAICT there is not github project setting to do this kind
> of thing specifically so we'd either need to use the API somehow? Or
> add whatever@httpd.apache.org to a personal github account and have
> notifications through that, which seems ugly.

Solved.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/.asf.yaml+features+for+git+repositories#id-.asf.yamlfeaturesforgitrepositories-Notificationsettingsforrepositories

I recommend using selfserve.apache.org to create notifications@httpd (the
typical name/pattern for this stuff), then to use .asf.yaml to sort out the
various emails.

Cheers,
-g
Re: Can github activity (new PRs, comments) be forwarded to dev@ ? [ In reply to ]
On 29/04/2020 10.11, Greg Stein wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 8:19 AM Joe Orton <jorton@redhat.com
> <mailto:jorton@redhat.com>> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 05:19:09PM +0200, Ruediger Pluem wrote:
> > +1 gh@httpd.apache.org <mailto:gh@httpd.apache.org> (I declare
> the naming discussion for the list name opened :-)).
> > This offers an easy opt-in for those who are interested in these
> updates.
>
> +1 from me, does anybody know if it's actually technically possible to
> do though?  AFAICT there is not github project setting to do this kind
> of thing specifically so we'd either need to use the API somehow?  Or
> add whatever@httpd.apache.org <mailto:whatever@httpd.apache.org> to
> a personal github account and have
> notifications through that, which seems ugly.
>

> Solved.
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/.asf.yaml+features+for+git+repositories#id-.asf.yamlfeaturesforgitrepositories-Notificationsettingsforrepositories
> <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/.asf.yaml+features+for+git+repositories#id-.asf.yamlfeaturesforgitrepositories-Notificationsettingsforrepositories>

This unfortunately won't work since httpd.git is a mirror repository.
I'm sure we can solve the PR notifications one way or the other, but it
can't be done through .asf.yaml until such a point where httpd is using
git as its main VCS.

> I recommend using selfserve.apache.org <http://selfserve.apache.org> to
> create notifications@httpd (the typical name/pattern for this stuff),
> then to use .asf.yaml to sort out the various emails.

Once we are in agreement on a name here, I can get this processed with
my VP hat on, and task infra to figure out how to relay notifications
there :)

Re: Can github activity (new PRs, comments) be forwarded to dev@ ? [ In reply to ]

Going to JFDI here... notifications@httpd coming right up :p

Re: Can github activity (new PRs, comments) be forwarded to dev@ ? [ In reply to ]
On 29/04/2020 10.52, Daniel Gruno wrote:
> On 29/04/2020 10.22, Daniel Gruno wrote:
>>

>>> I recommend using selfserve.apache.org <http://selfserve.apache.org>
>>> to create notifications@httpd (the typical name/pattern for this
>>> stuff), then to use .asf.yaml to sort out the various emails.
>>
>> Once we are in agreement on a name here, I can get this processed with
>> my VP hat on, and task infra to figure out how to relay notifications
>> there :)
>
> Going to JFDI here... notifications@httpd coming right up :p

And done, plus we have GH notifications going there now :)

Re: Can github activity (new PRs, comments) be forwarded to dev@ ? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 6:47 PM Daniel Gruno <humbedooh@apache.org> wrote:

> >> Once we are in agreement on a name here, I can get this processed with
> >> my VP hat on, and task infra to figure out how to relay notifications
> >> there :)
> >
> > Going to JFDI here... notifications@httpd coming right up :p
>
> And done, plus we have GH notifications going there now :)

Awesome, thanks Daniel!
Re: Can github activity (new PRs, comments) be forwarded to dev@ ? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 11:47:33AM -0500, Daniel Gruno wrote:
> And done, plus we have GH notifications going there now :)

Nice, thanks a lot Daniel.