Mailing List Archive

Trying to compile httpd trunk
Hello,

I fail to compile apache2 from trunk on Debian testing.

According to the INSTALL file, I check outed `apr` trunk in
srclib/apr. After adding several lacking packages, it seems
./configure is ok. (The full output is in attachment.)

$ ./configure --prefix=/home/stephane/bin/http --with-included-apr
[...]
configure: summary of build options:

Server Version: 2.5.1
Install prefix: /home/stephane/bin/http
C compiler: gcc
CFLAGS: -g -O2 -pthread
CPPFLAGS: -DLINUX -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE
LDFLAGS:
LIBS:
C preprocessor: gcc -E

However, the compilation stops:

$ LANG=C make
Making all in srclib
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/stephane/src/httpd-trunk/srclib'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'all'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/stephane/src/httpd-trunk/srclib'
make: *** [/home/stephane/src/httpd-trunk/build/rules.mk:75:
all-recursive] Error 1

Do you have any hints?

I temporary subscribed to the mailing list.

Regards
--
Stéphane
Re: Trying to compile httpd trunk [ In reply to ]
The last time I did this (a week or so ago on RHEL 7.6),
I had to checkout both apr and apr-util, their 1.x branches, not trunk.

I know apr and apr-util united under one apr trunk, but httpd trunk
probably requires some flags/tweaks to pick srclib/apr trunk without
apr-util....

K.

Re: Trying to compile httpd trunk [ In reply to ]
Le mar. 17 déc. 2019 à 19:05, Michal Karm Babacek
<karm.babacek@gmail.com> a écrit :

> The last time I did this (a week or so ago on RHEL 7.6),
> I had to checkout both apr and apr-util, their 1.x branches, not trunk.

Thanks for your help!

I tried with branches 1.x but it fails with the same error:

$ rm -rf srclib/
$ make clean
$ svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr/branches/1.7.x srclib/apr
$ svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr-util/branches/1.6.x
srclib/apr-util
$ ./buildconf
$ ./configure --prefix=/home/stephane/bin/http --with-included-apr
$ LANG=C make

Output of `make` command:

Re: Trying to compile httpd trunk [ In reply to ]
Sorry for spamming. How to unsubscribe?

Re: Trying to compile httpd trunk [ In reply to ]
Hi,

see https://httpd.apache.org/lists.html#http-dev

CJ

Re: Trying to compile httpd trunk [ In reply to ]
I don't have a way to try this out at the moment,
but if I remember correctly you may want to try ./buildconf inside the
srclib/apr
and srclib/apr-util directories to generate the make files.

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 10:08 AM Stéphane Blondon <

AW: Trying to compile httpd trunk [ In reply to ]
make extraclean
./buildconf
./configure <with whatever options>
make
make install

in the top-level directory with either APR trunk or APR 1.x and APR-UTIL 1.x in srclib as apr and / or apr-util directory should do the trick.
Keep in mind that for buildconf further tools are required that are not needed for normal builds like Python, autoconf and libtool.

Regards

R?diger

C2 General
I don't have a way to try this out at the moment,
but if I remember correctly you may want to try ./buildconf inside the srclib/apr
and srclib/apr-util directories to generate the make files.

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 10:08 AM St?phane Blondon <stephane.blondon@gmail.com<mailto:stephane.blondon@gmail.com>> wrote:
Le mar. 17 d?c. 2019 ? 19:05, Michal Karm Babacek
<karm.babacek@gmail.com<mailto:karm.babacek@gmail.com>> a ?crit :

> The last time I did this (a week or so ago on RHEL 7.6),
> I had to checkout both apr and apr-util, their 1.x branches, not trunk.

Thanks for your help!

I tried with branches 1.x but it fails with the same error:

$ rm -rf srclib/
$ make clean
$ svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr/branches/1.7.x srclib/apr
$ svn co http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr-util/branches/1.6.x
srclib/apr-util
$ ./buildconf
$ ./configure --prefix=/home/stephane/bin/http --with-included-apr
$ LANG=C make

Output of `make` command:
Making all in srclib
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/stephane/src/httpd-trunk/srclib'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'all'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/stephane/src/httpd-trunk/srclib'
make: *** [/home/stephane/src/httpd-trunk/build/rules.mk:75<http://rules.mk:75>:
all-recursive] Error 1

Regards
--
St?phane
Re: Trying to compile httpd trunk [ In reply to ]
Le ven. 20 déc. 2019 à 11:32, Pluem, Ruediger, Vodafone Group
<ruediger.pluem@vodafone.com> a écrit :

> make extraclean
>
> ./buildconf
>
> ./configure <with whatever options>
>
> make
>
> make install

Thanks for `make extraclean` but the error is still there.
I tried with ./buildconf in srclib/apr/ ans srclib/apr-util/ before
./builconf in http-trunk directory (like Mike Rumph suggests) but the
behaviour is the same. :(

$ LANG=C make
Making all in srclib
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/stephane/src/httpd-trunk/srclib'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target 'all'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/stephane/src/httpd-trunk/srclib'
make: *** [/home/stephane/src/httpd-trunk/build/rules.mk:75:
all-recursive] Error 1

> in the top-level directory with either APR trunk or APR 1.x and APR-UTIL 1.x in srclib as apr and / or apr-util directory should do the trick.

My current tree is:

$ tree -L 1 srclib
srclib
??? apr
??? apr-util
??? Makefile

The 'Makefile' has been generated and, as the error said, contains no target:

$ cat srclib/Makefile
top_srcdir = /home/stephane/src/httpd-trunk
top_builddir = /home/stephane/src/httpd-trunk
srcdir = /home/stephane/src/httpd-trunk/srclib
builddir = /home/stephane/src/httpd-trunk/srclib
VPATH = /home/stephane/src/httpd-trunk/srclib

> Keep in mind that for buildconf further tools are required that are not needed for normal builds like Python, autoconf and libtool.

Yes, I installed several packages before getting the ./configure
script works properly: Python 2 and 3, 'autoconf', 'build-essential',
'libtool', 'libtool-bin', 'pcre-utils', 'libpcre2-dev' packages are
installed.
I uninstalled 'apache2-utils' in case it was the cause of the
compilation failure.

I will try next year with the 2.4 branch to compare (I will not have
access to the used machine to compile Apache).

Regards
--
Stéphane
Re: Trying to compile httpd trunk [ In reply to ]
> On 17 Dec 2019, at 17:46, Stéphane Blondon <stephane.blondon@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I fail to compile apache2 from trunk on Debian testing.

I take it you have a good reason to want that rather than a packaged version
such as Debian's?

What did buildconf tell you?

> According to the INSTALL file, I check outed `apr` trunk in
> srclib/apr. After adding several lacking packages, it seems
> ./configure is ok. (The full output is in attachment.)

Attachment TLDR. Was that apr configure or httpd configure?

> $ ./configure --prefix=/home/stephane/bin/http --with-included-apr

Not something I'd try with a non-release version. Decide what apr you
want (either trunk or 1.x should work), install that first, then use that to
build your httpd.

--
Nick Kew
Re: Trying to compile httpd trunk [ In reply to ]
Le ven. 20 déc. 2019 à 19:02, Nick Kew <niq@apache.org> a écrit :
> I take it you have a good reason to want that rather than a packaged version
> such as Debian's?

I'd like to provide a patch to a (whishlist) bug report I've done (#63079).

> What did buildconf tell you?
>
> > According to the INSTALL file, I check outed `apr` trunk in
> > srclib/apr. After adding several lacking packages, it seems
> > ./configure is ok. (The full output is in attachment.)
>
> Attachment TLDR. Was that apr configure or httpd configure?

It was httpd configure.

--
Stéphane
Re: Trying to compile httpd trunk [ In reply to ]
On 12/21/19 7:37 AM, Stéphane Blondon wrote:
> Le ven. 20 déc. 2019 à 19:02, Nick Kew <niq@apache.org> a écrit :
>> I take it you have a good reason to want that rather than a packaged version
>> such as Debian's?
>
> I'd like to provide a patch to a (whishlist) bug report I've done (#63079).
>

>> What did buildconf tell you?
>>
>>> According to the INSTALL file, I check outed `apr` trunk in
>>> srclib/apr. After adding several lacking packages, it seems
>>> ./configure is ok. (The full output is in attachment.)
>>
>> Attachment TLDR. Was that apr configure or httpd configure?
>
> It was httpd configure.

I built successfully from the trunk on a Debian 11 (Bullseye) system using the commands below.

I only placed the trunk version of APR in srclib/, since both APR and APR-UTIL are now combined in
the trunk version.

I was able to build, install, and run the resulting binary without error. Perhaps you can spot
whatever was different in your efforts.

-tom-

apt install subversion gcc make automake autoconf libtool-bin python
apt install libexpat1-dev libssl-dev libpcre3-dev zlib1g-dev libbrotli-dev libnghttp2-dev

svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk httpd-trunk

# At this point ./httpd-trunk/srclib contains: Makefile.in

svn checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/apr/apr/trunk httpd-trunk/srclib/apr

# At this point ./httpd-trunk/srclib contains: Makefile.in apr

cd httpd-trunk

./buildconf

./configure --prefix=/home/tomd/apache_trunk --with-included-apr --enable-mods-shared=most

# At this point ./srclib contains: Makefile Makefile.in apr

make

make install
Re: Trying to compile httpd trunk [ In reply to ]
Le dim. 29 déc. 2019 à 03:17, Tom Donovan <donovant@bellatlantic.net> a écrit :
> I built successfully from the trunk on a Debian 11 (Bullseye) system using the commands below.

Thank you Tom! It works. :)

In case it helps someone, there were some missing packages
(libnghttp2-dev and some libprcre* libraries) and the
'--enable-mods-shared=most' option compared to my commands.

--
Stéphane