to test stuff on already. The system could be a long term loaner,
they don't have to "give" it to us, just "lend" it for a long time.

The home would be on a pair of T1's in San Francisco.
Re: CERN [ In reply to ]
On Mar 15, 12:06pm, David Robinson wrote:
} Subject: Re: CERN
} >A few people that I really respect at work (sun) are suggesting (quite
} >strongly in fact) that we look at using CERN as a base.
} I thought the CERN server was really huge, with lots of features we
} don't want, like proxying. I don't actually know of anyone using the
} CERN server for external accesses, only as a proxy gateway for
} internal users.

Sun's www.sun.com is CERN, as are all the proxy's.

}
} >I am also talking to some marketers at Sun about some hardware. I
} >think we can really use a nice MP system to test the server. :-)
} Sounds very nice...
} Pro tem we have several MP suns here which I can test code on.
} The only problem is finding an unloaded one which is not trying to
} simulate a galaxy star by star...

Great...how much load can we generate against them when in test mode?
Re: CERN [ In reply to ]
> A few people that I really respect at work (sun) are suggesting (quite
> strongly in fact) that we look at using CERN as a base. I know that
> the CERN server has been hacked to include all the NSCA features by
> folks here and I was told it was not difficult. What are peoples
> thoughts on this? [ as cliff ducks ]

The CERN server is larger than NCSA (at least, larger than NCSA without
the HUGE_ patch :-) and considerably slower.

> I am also talking to some marketers at Sun about some hardware. I
> think we can really use a nice MP system to test the server. :-)

I have a ten processor SC2000 system with 1.5GB of RAM.

It doesn't have a web server running on it right now but I could
certainly install one.

Our web server (www.msstate.edu) is a dual processor SS20 with 256MB
of memory (temporarily). It has the advantage of being an active
server (US mirror for the internet movie database). So when we have
a stable enough server to put into a production environment that
will be an active test case.

Between the two I think we have Sun MP well covered.
Re: CERN [ In reply to ]