Date: Sat, 22 Apr 95 01:20:14 PDT
From: Kevin Hughes <kevinh@eit.COM>
To: brian@organic.com
Subject: Wow!

I just visited Organic's site and am impressed - although I
know Organic didn't do the design, that Saturn site is one of the
best looking Web servers I've ever seen! Now I understand what Organic's
all about.
I just downloaded and installed Apache 0.6.2 and it is speedy!
Many kudos to the team. Is there any possibility of adding the RedirectAll
directive as described at:

http://wsk.eit.com/httpd/redirall.html

...or is the functionality already in Apache?
Also, someone should grab the new imagemap program that handles
points and add that to the distribution, and note that I just made new
versions of my icons at:

http://www.eit.com/web/www.icons/
http://www.eit.com/web/www.icons/icons.sheet.html

(take them or leave them...)
I'm in the middle of redesigning EIT's site, and until Simon Spero's
server is stable and ready to go I intend to use Apache from here on
out (as long as you guys keep on top of httpd 1.4 too). Way to go!

-- Kevin
Re: Suggestions from Kevin Hughes... [ In reply to ]
> Hmmm... I understand ReDirAll causes a single page (which has to be
> located elsewhere) to be served up in response to *any* request.
>
> If so, I've achieved a similar effect at the times I needed it with
> trick config files (no UserDir, and no Aliases or ScriptAliases except
> for a single "ScriptAlias / /.../cgi-bin/bounce.cgi" --- an advantage
> of this is that bounce.cgi then gets the actual URL requested in
> PATH_INFO, which allows it to, say, redirect to the corresponding page
> on a mirror server). I *believe* this does in fact trap all
> requests.
>
> Of course, even if trick config files do the job here, a separate
> config directive might be easier on some people. (Then again, perhaps
> we could just ship a second sample srm.conf set up like this, and add
> another page to Rob H.'s "how tos" section of the docs which says how
> to use it).

As long as there is a way to do this without too much effort, I
don't mind which method is used.

Redirecting to mirror sites won't work with most browsers today if the
info is POSTed... but then the CGI script in Rob T's model can be
used to intercept POSTs.

robh
Re: Suggestions from Kevin Hughes... [ In reply to ]
[Getting around to this, finally... ]

Kevin Hughes sent the following - I invited him to join the list and said
I'd forward this. I think the RedirectAll function could be cool if made
a little more general; I said I was working on a better imagemap script
(and that eventually that's something we might put into the server code),
and that I thought his icons were fantastic.

Brian

[...]

rst