Mailing List Archive

Re: ready?
Re: ready? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 20 Apr 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > It's alright with me if our beta has the current behavior, and I would
> > also support extending the log file format if we provided an efficient
> > support/apache2common script.
> >
> > How does this sound: an "ExtendedLogging" srm.conf:
> >
> > ExtendedLogging RealObject Referrer UserAgent
> >
> > Which results in a log file that looks like
> >
> > CLF RealObject Referrer UserAgent
> >
> > Where:
> >
> > RealObject = the real object served, if different from the file
> > requested (i.e., "/401.html" or "/cgi-bin/404-handler"), "-"
> > otherwise. In quotes.
>
> Does this handle the case where multiple redirects take place ?
>
> GET A -> B -> C -> D -> E
>
> ...crazy but perfectly valid I think.

You are crazy. Maybe that's why they elected you into the WWW Hall of
Fame. I wonder what it'll take to get me in.

I thought the server was smart enough to only redirect once? Isn't
redirecting more than once really a configuration error, when it has to
do with custom error messages?

> > Referrer = HTTP_REFERRER, in quotes.
> >
> > UserAgent = HTTP_USER_AGENT, in quotes.
>

> If people recorded USER_AGENT in the logfile, we'd need another
> conf option,
>
> WhatToDoWhenLogFileExceeds 80Mb rm access_log
>
> :-) does anyone in their right mind want to log USER_AGENT in their
> logfile. It only makes sense for big sites, and they simply won't be
> able to afford all the space it takes up in the log.
> USER AGENT is a big string for most browsers.

Yes, which is why it'd be a configuration option people could turn on or
off whenever they wanted. In fact if those options could be allows in
srm.conf, it could be turned on or off on a per-directory basis.

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/
Re: ready? [ In reply to ]
re: ftp mirror sites.

When you're ready, I can mirror the Apache distribution on sunsite, if
you like?

Simon // This Message Composed By Voice
Re: ready? [ In reply to ]
> 1) Project developers:
> Rob Thau
> Rob Hartill
> Randy Terbush
>
> 2) Patch contributors, "cops", and beta testers
> Brian Behlendorf
> Cliff Skolnick
> David Robinson
> andrew@www.elsevier.co.uk
> Roy Fielding
> folks at NCSA

One list please. I've no idea how you decided who goes in which list,
but I'm sure it's going to cause problems.

> -----
>

> Folks, we in the Apache Group are happy to announce a new public-domain HTTP
> server based on patches to NCSA's 1.3 httpd called "Apache". It fixes many
> bugs, in both performance and functionality, and it includes the following
> new features:
>
> Content negotiation (for all you who want to do HTML 3 right!)
> Multiple Domain Names (http://foo.com/ & http://bar.com/)
> Custom error messages (internal redirects to pages or script
^^^^^^^^ ^

> Send "as is" file types - for including HTTP headers with documents
> More HTTP spec compliance
> DBM-file based user authentication
>
> Currently in version 0.6.1, the server has been tested and is being used by
> HotWired, the movie databases at Cardiff and Msstate, the MIT AI Lab,
> Organic, and Hyperreal. OS's include Solaris, SGI, and BSDI.
^ SunOs,

Also works on my HPsUX.

> Details are available at <URL:http://www.apache.org/apache/>. All
> support questions should go to comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix, and all
^^^^^^^^^^^^
you'll have to mention .providers too

> real bug reports should go to apache-bugs@mail.apache.org.

robh
Re: ready? [ In reply to ]

Re: ready? [ In reply to ]
> > Does this handle the case where multiple redirects take place ?
> >
> > GET A -> B -> C -> D -> E
> >
> > ...crazy but perfectly valid I think.
>
> You are crazy. Maybe that's why they elected you into the WWW Hall of
> Fame. I wonder what it'll take to get me in.

My name got put on the wrong list. I was supposed to go in the
Hall of Shame.

> I thought the server was smart enough to only redirect once? Isn't
> redirecting more than once really a configuration error, when it has to
> do with custom error messages?

redirects because of errors/problems will not redirect to another
error/problem URL... that's a built in safety mechanism.

Redirects in general can (or should) be able to bounce around from
URL to URL with no restriction.

> > :-) does anyone in their right mind want to log USER_AGENT in their
> > logfile. It only makes sense for big sites, and they simply won't be
> > able to afford all the space it takes up in the log.
> > USER AGENT is a big string for most browsers.
>
> Yes, which is why it'd be a configuration option people could turn on or
> off whenever they wanted. In fact if those options could be allows in
> srm.conf, it could be turned on or off on a per-directory basis.

that makes a little more sense.
Re: ready? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 21 Apr 1995, David Robinson wrote:
> From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>
>
> >Two lists:
> >
> >1) Project developers:
> >2) Patch contributors, "cops", and beta testers
> Gee, thanks Brian.
>
> Career hint: don't try the diplomatic service.

:( I apologize to everyone. I was trying to be inclusive while
distinguishing between those who have spent 5 hours/week on this from
those who have spent 40. And I failed. Proposal completely rescinded.

Re: ready? [ In reply to ]
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>

>Two lists:
>
>1) Project developers:
> Rob Thau
> Rob Hartill
> Randy Terbush
>
>2) Patch contributors, "cops", and beta testers
> Brian Behlendorf
> Cliff Skolnick
> David Robinson

Gee, thanks Brian.

Career hint: don't try the diplomatic service.

David.