test it. I've been running what amounts to 0.6.1 (0.6 with B57 taken
out) since Sunday; is it up elsewhere yet?

rst --- wondering when the crackers are going to crash the machine tonight...
Re: 0.6.1 as beta... [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 17 Apr 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > rst --- wondering when the crackers are going to crash the machine tonight...
>
> The crackers came back to our subnet at the weekend.
>
> Our resident security "expert" described the latest attempt to
> break in as "inept".

Weird - not to sound glib or anything, but I wonder why none of the three
machines/domains I watch over (wired, organic, hyperreal) has ever been
seriously hit. I know SATAN has shown us to be pretty much secure, but
with packet-forging going on these days I'm sure there are *ways*. I
won't pretend that I know all the possible indications of being hacked,
though there was that one time when the root password changed on two of
our machines for no reason... Hmm.

Brian

brian@organic.com brian@hyperreal.com http://www.[hyperreal,organic].com/
Re: 0.6.1 as beta... [ In reply to ]

> rst --- wondering when the crackers are going to crash the machine tonight...

The crackers came back to our subnet at the weekend.

Our resident security "expert" described the latest attempt to
break in as "inept".

They made some really stupid mistakes which meant that instead
of being told about a hole, their actions mailed the sys-admins
to tell them that some bozzo was up to no good.

One of these clowns will get caught sooner or later and end up
on the wrong side of a FBI interview table.
Re: 0.6.1 as beta... [ In reply to ]

Re: 0.6.1 as beta... [ In reply to ]
> Of course, if we are going to release it, the important thing is to
> test it. I've been running what amounts to 0.6.1 (0.6 with B57 taken
> out) since Sunday; is it up elsewhere yet?

I've been running this since it was available on my site. 20,000
requests and counting.