Mailing List Archive

httpd patch B2 updated.
B2
Submitter rst@ai.mt.edu/rst@ai.mt.edu
Sumary : SO_LINGER set on client sockets
State : invote

Don't set SO_LINGER on client sockets. (on many systems, this
leads to processes which can't be killed because they're already
trying to die, but can't close their last file descriptor (the
socket either), so they just sit around taking up swap space).

--- cliffs on Fri Mar 10 03;03;18 PST 1995 ---

I don't know if not setting this is such a good idea. After the
program dies, there may still be data in transit that might need to
be re-sent. I think premature shutdowns sockets will be worse.
The OS should really time out the linger (like it is supposed to
do)

I suggest we make this an OS specific option/patch if it is really a bad
problem.