Mailing List Archive

Customizing LOGFORMAT to accept "Account Number"
Is there a way to setup the LOGFORMAT, such that it can accept an "unrecognized type", such as an account number. Currently, I have the following log format setup, but want to be able to run reports utilizing the account number 'A-35815' instead of ignoring it.

LOGFORMAT (%S %Y-%m-%d %h:%n:%j %j %u %j %j %r %c %t %b '%B')

172.17.16.198 2009-09-04 18:31:20 '25368CAA5FF08DE4855FA7E1A8BDAD7D' 'WINDERA' 'A-35815' POST /nextthing/start.seam/ 200 0.563 107470 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.13) Gecko/2009073022 Firefox/3.0.13 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)'

Thanks for the Help

David

The information contained in this email is intended only for the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged and/or confidential information.If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message from your computer. The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is forbidden. The sender will not be liable for direct, special, indirect or consequential damage as a result of any virus being passed on, or arising from alteration of the contents of this message by a third party.

www.vertexna.com
Re: Customizing LOGFORMAT to accept "Account Number" [ In reply to ]
You can do one of two things, depending on what you want.

To see a report of all traffic for the account 'A-35815', just use that in
your log format instead of %j. Analog will ignore all other lines in the
report.

LOGFORMAT (%S %Y-%m-%d %h:%n:%j %j %u 'A-35815' %j %r %c %t %b '%B')
To see a report of all accounts on the system, you can 'hijack' a variable
for a report you are not using. In your example you could use %v (Virtual
Hosts) and then turn on the Virtual Host report to see results for top
accounts.

LOGFORMAT (%S %Y-%m-%d %h:%n:%j %j %u %v %j %r %c %t %b '%B')
VHOST ON

--
Jeremy Wadsack

RE: Customizing LOGFORMAT to accept "Account Number" [ In reply to ]
Jeremy,
Thank you. It worked great.

David Paul, Test Engineer
Vertex Business Services

1001 SW Disk Drive, Ste 100, Bend, Oregon, 97702
T: +1 541 389 0120 ext 1080  www.vertexgroup.com/na<http://www.vertexgroup.com/na>

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 4:10 PM, David Paul <david.paul@vertexna.com<mailto:david.paul@vertexna.com>> wrote:
Is there a way to setup the LOGFORMAT, such that it can accept an "unrecognized type", such as an account number. Currently, I have the following log format setup, but want to be able to run reports utilizing the account number 'A-35815' instead of ignoring it..

LOGFORMAT (%S %Y-%m-%d %h:%n:%j %j %u %j %j %r %c %t %b '%B')

172.17.16.198 2009-09-04 18:31:20 '25368CAA5FF08DE4855FA7E1A8BDAD7D' 'WINDERA' 'A-35815' POST /nextthing/start.seam/ 200 0.563 107470 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.13) Gecko/2009073022 Firefox/3.0.13 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)'

Thanks for the Help

David
The information contained in this email is intended only for the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain privileged and/or confidential information.If you have received this message in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message from your computer. The unauthorised use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is forbidden. The sender will not be liable for direct, special, indirect or consequential damage as a result of any virus being passed on, or arising from alteration of the contents of this message by a third party. www.vertexna.com<http://www.vertexna.com>

RE: Customizing LOGFORMAT to accept "Account Number" [ In reply to ]
One more question.
I have used the %v, as well as the %u, and I need one more "custom" variable that I can re-name. I have tried many others, but it seems that they all require special formatting (unlike these variables that don't appear to have a required format).
For example, I am not using the %f (referrer), but it doesn't seem to recognize the field unless it starts with an http://

Thanks.

Re: Customizing LOGFORMAT to accept "Account Number" [ In reply to ]
I wasn't aware that Referrer required that prefix. I don't believe there are
any other variables to use. You can always run analog twice to produce the
two different reports.

--
Jeremy Wadsack