I appreciate all help and apologize if my questions are too stupid:-)
Thank you
Alex

HELP! [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 19 May 1999, A.K wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I just installed analog successfully on my dedicated server. Now I have
> a problem: It seems to run correctly but I can not view the output.html
> file because it is created in my httpd directory.
> Next thing is: How can I add domains to monitor?
> How can I make analog produce the output.html file in one folder of one
> domain or for every single domain in a folder of every domain?

I'm not sure I really understand your questions. But you can set the
location of the output file with the OUTFILE command.

--
Stephen Turner sret1@cam.ac.uk http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/
Statistical Laboratory, 16 Mill Lane, Cambridge CB2 1SB, England

HELP! [ In reply to ]
Hi Alex:

I'm fairly new to analog myself, but I've been using getstats for awhile.
I'm working on converting everything to analog now.
What I've been doing is creating domainname_specific config files and
running them from cron. This works great for me because all of my domains
create separate logfiles. Using the OUTFILE command that Stephen mentioned
I send each of the files to a specific directory. I'm actually creating 3
config files per domainname. They are 1) domain_comp.cfg [includes daily,
weekly, etc.]; 2) domain_host.cfg [.includes host information so I can see
who has been visiting] and 3) domain_refer.cfg [.contains the addresses of
the sites that refered a visit to my server]. Once I got the hang of it, it
became pretty easy.

ANSWERS SPECIFIC TO YOUR Q's:

I'm not sure why you can't read them in your httpd directory. This is
normally a public access web directory. One reason I CAN think of is that
you are serving separate domains off of the httpd directory (this is what I
do), but you should be able to use the IP address itself to get into the
httpd directory.

As far as how to monitor domains, I use the host report with a "HOSTFLOOR
1r" command. This makes sure that I display every host that has made at
least 1 request.

I would be happy to send you the config files that I'm using if you like.
I'm using a UNIX based system.

Brian

Re: help! [ In reply to ]
Louise Martineau wrote:
> Hi have been tasked with obtaining the listing of hits to a website my
> company is overseeing. I am in no way a web person so am not sure what
> is needed to generate up to date numbers. I have been playing around
> with the bugtracking section of the site a bit and I noticed that
> several years ago, Analog was providing the lists but what I can see and
> generate seems to be all old. What do I have to do to see updated
> information?

Make sure that the web-server software is writing current log files and
that Analog knows where they are and what they are called.

The analog.cfg file is where you tell Analog which logfile(s) to
analyse. If you use Apache, you tell it what logs to produce in
httpd.conf - if not, then I don't know.

I hope that's enough to get you started.

Roger

Re: help! [ In reply to ]
Analog reads your web server log files. Likely it's currently configured to
look at old log files. You need to point it at the current log files and
re-run analog to generate the reports.

Take a look at the documentation for your platform to get an idea of how to
start: http://analog.cx/docs/start.html

Note that "hits" means different things to different people so analog
explicitly does not use that term. See http://analog.cx/docs/defns.html for
more details on the terms used by analog's reports.

--
Jeremy Wadsack

Re: help! [ In reply to ]
Louise Martineau <lmartineau@sema4usa.com> wrote:
> Hi have been tasked with obtaining the listing of hits to a website my
> company is overseeing. I am in no way a web person so am not sure
> what is needed to generate up to date numbers. I have been playing
> around with the bugtracking section of the site a bit and I noticed
> that several years ago, Analog was providing the lists but what I can
> see and generate seems to be all old.

When you say "generate", do you mean that you are accessing a web form that will generate an Analog report on the fly? (there will usually be a "Program Started" timestamp at the top of the Analog report). If you are getting "fresh" reports, but with old data, then you need to find the Analog configuration files, and verify that it's looking in the correct location for the logfiles. You may also want to check that the web form is actually allowing you to select the most recent logfiles.

> What do I have to do to see updated information?

The answer to that question very much depends on the specifics of the situation. You might have to tell Analog to look in a new location for logfiles. The format of your logfiles might have changed, in which case, you might have to tell Analog about the new format. Analog might be working just fine, but the form that you use to generate reports might be out of date, and only looking at old logfiles. Or, if the reports that you are seeing aren't being freshly generated, but old, static reports, the cron job that creates the reports might not be running any more.

Most of these questions can be answered by logging on to the server where the reports are, and figuring out how (and when) they were created, but there aren't any generic answers - it all depends on how the server was set up.

I don't want to discourage you - it's not actually as complicated as it might sound, it's just that "local knowledge" is needed to answer the question.

Aengus

RE: help! [ In reply to ]
Hello Aengus, thank you for your response. You're not discouraging me,
I love to learn about this, I just don't want to do something to screw
up the entire website while poking around. It is a very complex system
that someone created most likely for job security and is scary working
in it. Your suggestion that the locations changed is probably correct
so I'll check it out.

Thank you again.

Louise

RE: help! [ In reply to ]
Hi Roger, thanks for the reply, a location change may be what is causing
it to not read. I'm going to look into that.

Thanks

Louise