Mailing List Archive

Warning category L is a bit broad, don't you think?
Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but since I have a bunch of of
virtual hosts in seperate files, but I like to also get an overview,
I get many double-entry warnings.

I'd like to shut those up, but:

Category L

When analog finishes reading a logfile, it checks whether there
might have been something wrong with it.

Large number of corrupt lines
[snip]

Logfiles overlap: possible double counting
[snip]

Well. I want the latter to shut up, but I *certainly* don't want to
suppress the former!

If there's no other way to solve this problem, please consider this
a feature request to split those out.

What's even worse is that the warnings emit on multiple lines, so I
can't even use grep to drop the ones I want. Can that be fixed?

-Robin

--
They say: "The first AIs will be built by the military as weapons."
And I'm thinking: "Does it even occur to you to try for something
Re: Warning category L is a bit broad, don't you think? [ In reply to ]
No opinions on this at all?

-Robin

Re: Warning category L is a bit broad, don't you think? [ In reply to ]
Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org> wrote:
> No opinions on this at all?
>
> -Robin
>
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:02:29PM -0700, Robin Lee Powell wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but since I have a bunch of of
>> virtual hosts in seperate files, but I like to also get an overview,
>> I get many double-entry warnings.
>>
>> I'd like to shut those up, but:
>>
>> Category L
>>
>> When analog finishes reading a logfile, it checks whether there
>> might have been something wrong with it.
>>
>> Large number of corrupt lines
>> [snip]
>>
>> Logfiles overlap: possible double counting
>> [snip]
>>
>> Well. I want the latter to shut up, but I *certainly* don't want to
>> suppress the former!

I don't think there's a way to change this by just modifying the config file - they're both defined as "L" warnings, and all "L" warnings are eirther on or off.

>> If there's no other way to solve this problem, please consider this
>> a feature request to split those out.

I'm afraid you're probably going to have to make this mod yourself - Analog hasn't had an official update in almost 4 years. A quick look at the source suggests that you might be able to get away with changing the warning type on line 297 of input.c

>> What's even worse is that the warnings emit on multiple lines, so I
>> can't even use grep to drop the ones I want. Can that be fixed?
>>
>> -Robin

Aengus

Re: Warning category L is a bit broad, don't you think? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 05:52:52PM -0400, Aengus wrote:
> Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org> wrote:
> >> If there's no other way to solve this problem, please consider
> >> this a feature request to split those out.
>
> I'm afraid you're probably going to have to make this mod yourself
> - Analog hasn't had an official update in almost 4 years. A quick
> look at the source suggests that you might be able to get away
> with changing the warning type on line 297 of input.c

Oh wow.

If I post a patch, any chance it'll be integrated?

-Robin

--
other than the default outcome?" See http://shrunklink.com/cdiz
Re: Warning category L is a bit broad, don't you think? [ In reply to ]
Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org> wrote:

>> I'm afraid you're probably going to have to make this mod yourself
>> - Analog hasn't had an official update in almost 4 years. A quick
>> look at the source suggests that you might be able to get away
>> with changing the warning type on line 297 of input.c
>
> Oh wow.
>
> If I post a patch, any chance it'll be integrated?

Right now, there isn't any formal collection of patches. There have been a few contributions to add new browser strings for Windows Vista, and some discussion of mods to take advantage of GeoIP tools, but there isn't a formal process, or even an explaicit list of patches.

For what it's worth, I modified the warning type on that line in input.c, and I was able to differentiate between the two warnings. I don't know if it broke anything else, but it looks like that change works.

Aengus

Re: Warning category L is a bit broad, don't you think? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 12:53:33PM -0400, Aengus wrote:
> Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm afraid you're probably going to have to make this mod
> >> yourself - Analog hasn't had an official update in almost 4
> >> years. A quick look at the source suggests that you might be
> >> able to get away with changing the warning type on line 297 of
> >> input.c
> >
> > Oh wow.
> >
> > If I post a patch, any chance it'll be integrated?
>
> Right now, there isn't any formal collection of patches. There
> have been a few contributions to add new browser strings for
> Windows Vista, and some discussion of mods to take advantage of
> GeoIP tools, but there isn't a formal process, or even an
> explaicit list of patches.

I was actually asking if it would be integrated back into the
official source tree. That sounds like a "no".

> For what it's worth, I modified the warning type on that line in
> input.c, and I was able to differentiate between the two warnings.
> I don't know if it broke anything else, but it looks like that
> change works.

Neat. Can I have a copy of the patch?

-Robin

Re: Warning category L is a bit broad, don't you think? [ In reply to ]
Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 12:53:33PM -0400, Aengus wrote:
>> Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell@digitalkingdom.org> wrote:

>>> Oh wow.
>>>
>>> If I post a patch, any chance it'll be integrated?
>>
>> Right now, there isn't any formal collection of patches. There
>> have been a few contributions to add new browser strings for
>> Windows Vista, and some discussion of mods to take advantage of
>> GeoIP tools, but there isn't a formal process, or even an
>> explaicit list of patches.
>
> I was actually asking if it would be integrated back into the
> official source tree. That sounds like a "no".

It's not for me to say no, but the author of Analog hasn't released an update in a little over 4 years, and there aren't enough accumulated patches for any one to have gone to the trouble of creating an actual fork.

>> For what it's worth, I modified the warning type on that line in
>> input.c, and I was able to differentiate between the two warnings.
>> I don't know if it broke anything else, but it looks like that
>> change works.
>
> Neat. Can I have a copy of the patch?

I can send you a copy of the windows .exe, or you can compile your own - it's a one character change.

Aengus