Mailing List Archive

[analog-announce] Analog is 10, Nathan is 0
Dear analog users,

Today is analog's 10th birthday! On 29th June 1995, I wrote a message to the
comp.sources.testers newsgroup asking for people to test a new logfile
analyser I had started writing:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sources.testers/msg/a449885a6c236789

I must have been a bit impatient, because by the following day I had already
announced it to some WWW newsgroups:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.infosystems.www.announce/msg/17103d1bce311c92

The source code at that time was already 2339 lines long. Now it's 25265
lines of my own, plus 32165 lines of third-party libraries. You can see the
original source code and README at

http://www.analog.cx/10/src/

It's interesting to compare the output then and the output now.
Paradoxically, it's interesting to see both how much it has changed,
and how much it has retained the same basic look:

http://www.analog.cx/10/output-0.9beta3/
http://www.analog.cx/10/output-6.0/

I've also put together a (very incomplete) time line showing when some
features were added to the program:

http://www.analog.cx/10/dates.html

Finally, I had intended to prepare a more extensive collection of 10th
anniversary materials, but events overtook me. I'm pleased to announce that
as of Monday, I'm the proud father of a son, Nathan.

http://www.analog.cx/10/nathan.jpg

Here's hoping that my zero-year old will turn out as successful as my
ten-year old.

--
Stephen Turner, Cambridge, UK http://homepage.ntlworld.com/adelie/stephen/
"Low Priced Cambridge Clare College. Big selection at eBay UK!"